October 20th, 2009 marked the turning of a page for Jason's Grandma Bigler. She was the last of the grandmas still living on either side for us... and what a wonderful woman she was... she was able to join her husband, 3 sons, and many other family members on the other side of the veil that day. I know that the reunion had to have been awesome, and only wish that I could have witnessed it! Some interesting statistics about Grandma Bigler:
(these are all coming from memory, so forgive me if some of them are a few numbers off...)
Grandma had 10 children, 7 still living
They all had a total of 49 children, so she then had 49 Grandchildren....
here's where it gets interesting...
When Lucy was born, she was Grandma's 99th great-grandchild... yes... I did say 99th!! Insane, right?
by the time that she passed away, there were 106 living grandchildren and another 6 (that we know of) on the way.
And this final number is extremely interesting because it is so rare... Grandma also had 1 Great-Great-granddaughter - how crazy cool is that?
Jason, Lucy and I were able to travel to Arizona for the funeral (the above picture is of Lucy on the drive!)... all of Jason's siblings were also able to go, so it was fun to be able to see and spend time with everyone (just wish that it was for a different reason) but this was the case with almost all of the grandchildren as well. There was an entire chapel at the church filled with family only... so it could have been one of Grandma's siblings, but mostly it was her children, grandchildren and the greats... To be able to look around a room at one time and see that everyone in there was family in some way was a very humbling experience! At the cemetery all of her grandchildren and greats sang "Family's Can Be Together Forever" and it was a beautiful thing to witness! Admittedly, I didn't do much singing for the tears that choked me up, but it was amazing none the less!
I remember visiting with Grandma about a year after we were married and was so impressed by this simple, loving lady - she walked me around her home showing me pictures of her family... and was able to tell me the names of each of them... if they were her children or grandchildren she could tell me their birthdays as well... if they were married, she could tell me the spouses names and what day they were married and where the marriage had taken place. If they had children, she could tell me all of their names and birthday's too. By the time Lucy was here there were too many to keep track of to that detail, but she could still tell you names and who they belonged to, and in most cases what month they were born. I can't even do that and I am 60 years younger than she was! Grandma made quilts for each of the grandchildren... most of them got more than one in their life... Jason has 3 that he is extremely fond of! He got 2 denim quilts as a child, and then we got a beautiful blue one the day we were married. She also crocheted blankets for each of the great grandkids.. Lucy's was pure white and was used only on one occasion... the day she was blessed. It was then put in the cedar chest and I plan to use it when the other children are blessed.
The service was one of the longest I have ever attended, but it was by no means boring! Everyone that spoke told stories that they remembered of Grandma. Many times the whole congregation would bust up laughing at some antic or other - and they were all totally Grandma! There was a reoccurring theme to all of them... and it was that she was the most generous woman, kind, caring, always thought of others before herself, and was only truly happy if she was helping someone else. Many of the grandkids talked about going to Grandma's house and she would be cooking a huge meal - regardless of the fact that she lived by herself and had not been expecting anyone. When they asked what she was making all that food for, she would simply reply that she knew there would be someone that needed it, she wasn't sure who yet, but she would be ready when they did need it.
Grandma was an outstanding example of everything that a person could want to be. I never heard her speak ill of anyone, and she had this funny knack for finding the good in everyone. She is a lady that I look up to, and hope to be like someday. I have many things to work on, but know it can be done!
We love you and miss you Grandma!
No comments:
Post a Comment