Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gas??? Seriously!!

Last night Lucy woke up around midnight, so I went in to get her and noticed some strange and funky smell, but couldn't place it... so I ignored it and went back to bed... didn't go to sleep though, as the smell continued to get worse. Finally at about 2 I woke Jason up to ask him if he smelled gas... to which he replied (very confused though) "YES... yes I do!" Jason spent the next few minutes searching for the source of our foul smell, but couldn't find a thing... so we moved from our bedroom to the living room, hoping that it wouldn't smell so bad out there (unfortunately it was just as bad) and then Jason called the utilities company. He told them that he thought we had a natural gas leak (not the kind from his hiney either) and they said that they would send someone right out. Then they gave him a list of things that we should not ever do if we suspected a gas leak... I don't remember all of them... but here are a few:
do not turn lights on
do not use appliances
do not check your heater
do not open doors or windows
do not use your cell phone in the house
There is only one item on there that Jason didn't do (we were smart enough to know not to turn any appliances on) but the rest of them seemed like normal things to check... so they had all been done already!

The man from the utilities company finally got here around 3:30, walked in, and immediately said that he smelled the gas, but that it wasn't natural gas... it was petroleum gas - like what you put in your car. He was way nice though and checked our apartment with his little gas meter thingy since he was here, and that eased our minds knowing that there was not a chance of us all exploding... however, I had a serious headache by this point and was dizzy... and that is just not so fun. We are thinking that someone had a gas spill in one of the garages that back up to our unit and then the smell seeped in through the walls... nasty... our place actually smelled like we had dumped gas everywhere. We did get the OK to open doors and windows to air out the place - thank Heaven! and we were very thankful that it was a relatively nice night out there - we didn't freeze too bad - just a little bad ;-)

So the moral of this story... if you suspect that you might have a natural gas leak - don't do anything that you would normally think to do or check... it might be bad!

1 comment:

Mily said...

Wow! I'm so glad you guys didn't explode either, and that everything was alright. What a night! Funny how you shouldn't turn on the light. I'm sure everyone has some handy flashlight in their nightstands in case of a gas leak. :)