At the beginning of the month we decided to take a little trip to this great farm just north of Denver - it is called Miller Farms and they do this sweet thing where you pay to get in, and then you can pick your own produce to take home... up to 6 ten pound bags per adult... Gary, Rachel and Sabella were game to go with us... so they picked Jason, Lucy and I up bright and early... like 7:30 - a full 2 hours before Lucy normally gets up - to head up and do some bonding! We picked Jerry up on the way... so that ended up being 5 adults and 2 little ones packed like sardines in a Pathfinder... good times! Here are the girls on the way up... they were the most excited about getting to see and pet animals... but as they always do in the car, had several "mine" fights... my favorites though were the fights they would get in when one wanted to hold hands and the other didn't! They are like little sisters... totally cracks me up!
There were some fun things to do before we got to the picking... here is an old fire truck that the girls both that was pretty cool!
This crazy... and I really do mean CRAZY!!! Bouncing pillow... Gary and I were the ones that got the fun of getting out there with the girls... I was totally thinking Jerry would... I knew Jason had gout, so he was out, and Rachel being 8 months prego was not allowed on there either, but Jerry decided watching and laughing at us was much more fun! It was pretty cool, but an entirely different work out than a trampoline... You would just be jumping along and get to a slope of the pillow and almost go head first to the dirt... CrAzY!! The girls did laugh non stop though!!
Next we have the King of the Hill hay tower... This and the next picture are really just included so that you can understand what kind of dust storm we were in... for the first hour or so none of us could fully open our eyes... crazy painful!
Then we were off to the petting zoo area... that's what they wanted from the get go, so we stayed there for a while!
This young cow was so mellow and let the kids pet her... so sweet!
Don't Jason and Jerry totally look like farmers??
I'm pretty sure that Gary was more scared of Sabella touching the animals than she was!
Not sure how he did it, but the little boy on the right of the picture pretty much had this sheep asleep in his lap... very strange, but good for the girls to have a chance to pet it without it running away!
Rachel and Jerry watching the fun in the animal pen
k... this is when we got in to the thick of things... literally! At this point you only have 2 pictures left to see... because we were too busy with picking to worry about the camera... but notice a few things.. 1. We are pretty much the only white people on the trailer. 2. There were about 20 more people on there than there probably should have been. 3. This is BEFORE we stated picking food... imagine how crazy it got at the end as we were trying to find spots to put all the food AND the people! Good times! I was very impressed with Lucy and Sabella though, they stayed on the trailer with Rachel while we got off to pick (admittedly, the only thing I picked were beets and potatoes - both of which I was grossly unprepared to pick... or dig is really the more appropriate term!!) but they loved the ride, didn't complain about not being able to get off, watched all the crazy people running and jumping to get at the food first - you know - before the hoarders do!! and generally had a great time!
So... here is a list of things that we came home with... I might miss some things... but...4 watermelons
3 cantaloupes
6 butternut squash
4 banana squash
1 zucchini
around 4 pounds of random peppers
at least 10 pounds of onions
7 large green onions
1/2 bag small potatoes (that, let me just mention, were to die for!!)
1.5 bags of beets
2 turnips (Jason was so cute with ours - he brought it back and said "do we like this?" I said I wasn't sure what it was, he swore it was Swiss chard... then Gary and I finally decided it was turnip... but so cute... like a kid in a candy shop!!)
8 pumpkins (for cooking, not carving)
1 bag tomatoes
2 bags sweet corn
3 gigantic cabbages
I am sure that I missed something... but that is all I can remember for now... and were were so tired by the time we got back that we have no pictures of the after! I can say this though... I want to go back again this year, and for sure will make it a date to go next year... and the year after etc! I was able to can the beets, and we have been enjoying everything else fresh... what a fun time though! Being able to share the experience with family and have fun things to talk about and laugh over was the best part of the whole thing though! Thanks for taking the time to go with us guys! Memories like these can't be bought or replaced!
1 comment:
That was great reading! And a great family picture there.
Post a Comment