Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Real Baby

When I was little, I can remember vividly how the only thing I ever wanted was a baby of my very own. Every time my mom got sick, I would eagerly ask her if it was because she had a baby in her tummy (seriously... this started when I was probably about 3, and didn't stop till I was about 15) Now I understand that Mom and Dad knew that they had reached perfection in me, and knew that it would do no good to try for better, because there wasn't any better ;-) For pretty much all of my birthdays and Christmas gifts, I just wanted dolls - the more life like the better. I would spend my carefully saved money to get little dolls for myself... when we went to church, I had my Grandma Grace who lived across the street, babysit my dolls for me - I would carefully instruct her how long she should let them sleep and what to do if they cried or got upset. I can remember this one baby I got while we were visiting my Uncle Dean in San Francisco - I got it in China Town, and I can admit now that it was seriously the ugliest doll ever - we had to attach the arms and legs I can't tell you how many times - and then when I thought I could curl her plastic hair with a curling iron, it just made things all that much worse - but when Grandma Grace told me she was ugly, I just cried, and then wouldn't talk to her for a while - because she had called my little ugly baby, well, ugly - she said that it was the ugliest thing she had seen! For my 5th or 6th birthday, my parents got me a "My Real Baby" doll - I was amazed at how lifelike he felt (yes... I did say HE - I was totally stoked to have a boy baby doll) - his flannel skin was as soft as velvet, his hair was neat and nice looking, his arms and legs were totally poseable - and - to top it all off - he smelled so good! I loved that baby doll!


Well, tonight, Jason's sister and brother-in-law came over with their new little baby, Sabella, and Lucy was using baby Bella as her "Real Baby" - I just thought it was too cute to see - and if you look close at Lucy, she is sooo excited (she is like that around all babies though - she just loves them) and wanted to make sure that everyone saw her and her little baby! I also love to see how content Sabella was in the stroller - it didn't look too comfy to me, but she really seamed to like it!







I have to say, I like Lucy's real baby better than any I ever had!

1 comment:

Mily said...

Ok, that is sooo cute! I think its adorable that Lucy is so into dolls and babies. We have that same stroller for Anaya's dolls. She loves it. Lucy and Anaya should play dollies together sometime.