Monday, August 2, 2010

Nice People DO Exsist!

Last Sunday we had a tire blow out on the truck while we were on our way to Yoder - that's about 45 minutes from our house... we were on Highway 94.... in the middle of nowhere when it happened.  The entire sidewall of the rear drivers side tire collapsed in on itself.  We were able to pull off to the side of the road without having anyone get hurt (in hindsight, this was actually a HUGE blessing... both the toe truck guy and the state patrol guy said that the way it happened, we shouldn't have made it out without injuries because usually the problem that we had causes the car to roll...) at any rate, we were stuck on the side of the road for about 2 hours.  It was a hot hot day, so Lucy, Opie and I were all outside the truck with Jason, because it was just too hot in the car.  We had about 200 cars pass by us... and only 4 stopped to see if we needed any help.  I was a little disappointed in that, but the owner of one of the cars that stopped lived in a little community that was across from where we were.  We told him that we were waiting for roadside assistance to come, and that we were okay... but about 20 minutes later a Jeep pulled up behind us and said that it was his dad that had stopped and he noticed that we were still out there and asked him to come check on us, so he got in his car with 2 other teenage friends and came to see what he could do to help.  We had a spare tire, but needed an extension to get the nut/bolt thing off the tire because the one we had wouldn't fit inside the rim... so.... the kid went back to his house, found what we needed and brought it back... then stayed on the side of the road with Jason while he changed the tire and got the spare on... turned out that the spare didn't have any air in it, so we had to wait for the tow truck dude anyway... but I was so grateful that this family had seen the need and come back to help us.  It actually warmed my heart to see it happen! 
I have always had a thing with at least stopping to see if we can help with a ride when someone is stuck on the side of the road... and it was cool to see that other people are the same way!!  I am sure that seeing a 2 year old and a dog on the side of the road made them a little more apt to help... but whatever... it was great to see that there are still nice people out there!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm glad people stopped to help you. I always want to stop and help when someone is on the side of the road, but I'm usually by myself, and my car is full of kids. I then tell myself that I have no room for them and what could I really do. If I saw a mom and a little kid, I would hope I would make an exception. I know I would want help if I was stranded.