Friday, September 11, 2009

We are finally getting a...

Dog! Yeah! We have wanted a dog - well specifically a Great Dane - for as long as we have been married, but are finally going through with it! We went and met this pretty girl last night - the picture is from when she was just 8 weeks old and she has just turned 1, but I am a dork and forgot the camera, so just picture her about 20 times bigger and you will know what she looks like now! She is so awesome! Her name is Bella right now, but we will be renaming her (need some help on names... see below.) The family that originally adopted her fell on some hard times and is no longer able to keep her, so sadly they had to return her to the breeder - sad for them, but HUGE blessing for us because now we get a fully trained, beautiful, loving dog - fully papered and everything - for a steel of a deal! YEAH!!! Bella grew up in a family with children, so she was excited to see Lucy and wanted to just play with her and kiss her! Lucy wasn't scared of her at all (thank goodness) and quickly learned to stay away from the tail - it is big and very strong! If Bella turned at all and her tail came anywhere near Lucy, she would put her hand up and say "No, no, no" - not in a mad way, just a cute, informative kind of way! Dane's do this cute thing that everyone just calls the "Dane Lean" where they will come up to the people that they like/love and lean on them. So if you are doing something - say in the kitchen, or working on something - they will just come up and lean on you - full body - as if to say "Don't worry, I'm here with you!" They generally only do it with people that they like, and she did it with all three of us at one or more time last night, so that made us feel great! Unfortunately, Lucy is a little small for the lean yet, but I'm sure she will learn to brace herself quickly! Bella is a Merle Pie Bald - so her coloring is very different and completely individual, and just plain adorable! Bella is getting fixed on Tuesday, and then we will be able to bring her home 7 to 10 days later! I can't wait!

So the names... here are a few that we have come up with... but we would love some help/votes/etc...
Chloe
Oprah - she would probably be called Oppie most of the time
Becca - probably be called Becs
and Lucy's vote - Horsey (makes sense since she only comes up to her pits!! she is a BIG dog!!)

7 comments:

The Hoskins said...

Here's my votes:
Paisley (cause that thing over her eye is too darn cute to not be noticed!)
Mini (sarcastically, for obvious reasons)
And I think Horsey would actually be really cute.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you're getting a dog! I like Paisley suggested above. Or Oppie:)

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Congratulations! How fun!!! Of your list, I think Chloe is cool-- but you can't go wrong. And I fully believe in allowing pets middle names, so cram them all in there if you so choose! :)

The Hoskins said...

Is it Oppie as in "AH-PEE" or is it Opie as in "OH-PEE." I just want to know what we're talking about, I mean it's my niece-dog, I feel like I need to know specifics. :)

April Nielsen said...

What!?! Totally lucky you. The name I thought of right away is Harley. Cute isn't it? SHE is adorable, you have to post more pictures of her with you guys. Can't wait!!

Katie Clifford said...

for clarification... we aren't from the deep south... so it would be Opie as in Oh-pee... so does that mean that it is just one p?

Stacy said...

Congrats!! My family is still trying to convince me on getting a dog. I just can't do it yet though. I know that I will be the one taking care of it the majority of the time. I already have 3 kids to take care of, 4 if you include Andrew! I don't know which name I like the best, but Horsey is super cute. Good Luck.